Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 2 Hr 10 Mins Total Time: 2 Hr 20 Mins
- Fill a large pot with water, bring to boil and add beef. Bring back to the boil and boil for 1 minute. Strain in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water and set aside.
- In a wok or large pan over medium high heat, heat vegetable oil and add spring onions, crushed ginger, garlic, and onion. Stir to lightly caramelize and cook until the onions become translucent. Add the tomato and chilli’s.
- Next add the meat back to the pot. Then add the tomato paste, spicy bean paste, sugar, soy sauce and Shaoxing wine. Mix thoroughly.
- Add enough water to pot so that meat is covered and heat over medium-high heat. Then add the white pepper, salt, star anise and bay leaves. Cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for around 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Remove bay leaves and star anise before serving.
- Blanch bok choy until just tender.
- For noodles follow instructions on packaging.
- To assemble the soup, place a generous amount of noodles in the bottom of a bowl. Add bok choy, meat and broth. Garnish with remaining spring onions, coriander and red chilli’s. Enjoy!